Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Post #2 Emotions

   This video was taken on the car ride home from my brother's funeral. Unsurprisingly, the experience was not a happy one. My experience with dealing with the death of a loved one and the view on life obtained afterwards both relates and differs to Victor when he is coping with his mother's death. Like Victor, I feel as though nature and life appear duller than before due to my perspective being tainted by my grief, for he says "I feel pleasure in dwelling on the recollections of childhood, before misfortune had tainted my mind, and changed its bright visions of extensive usefulness into gloomy and narrow reflections upon self"(Shelley 20) while recollecting his childhood to Robert. The only major difference between Victor and I during this experience is that I do not wish to resurrect and bring back the dead as a result, as I have come to terms with the fact that death is irreversible. This experience inspired me to appreciate the life I have and the people in it, because I will never know when exactly it will end, so I need to take advantage of my time left while I still can. This inspiration relates to Victor's realization that life must continue on when he says "My mother was dead, but we had still duties which we ought to perform; we must continue our course with the rest, and learn to think ourselves fortunate, whilst one remains whom the spoiler has not seized." (Shelley 24). What I desire to express from this experience is that grieving over the dead and feeling joyous from being alive can occur simultaneously, enforcing Mary Shelly's theme of Frankenstein that Gothicism and Romanticism can easily blend together and coexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment